Thursday, May 31, 2007

Just When You Think You Can't Connect.



Hello again!

One thing that really comes through about a cruising plan up here is that you need to be ready to change it quickly and often. We intended to stay at Greenway Sound tonight but when we got there, the place was closed up tight and not a soul was in sight!

We motored on into Sullivan Bay (photo) and are going to spend the night at the docks here. (N 50 degrees.097' W 126 degrees 49.691'). This place has good facilities but is open only for fuel and moorage during the "off season". The restaurant opens June 1st. However, the folks I am traveling with ran into two other couples in two boats that they know from Oregon and so there is a group of seven. The restaurant has agreed to open a day early just to accommodate us! So we go from no customer service to excellent customer service in a flash! Moorage rates are $o.50/foot today and $0.80/foot beginning tomorrow. I haven't checked on the fuel price here yet, but in answer to Owen's question, Echo Bay is the highest I've seen so far on this trip. I have been paying at least $1.18/liter.

This change in plans has moved the Queen Charlotte Sound crossing up one day to Sunday morning, weather permitting. The sailboat, of course can take a lot more rough water than DUNVEGAN but I have promised to push as hard as I can so as to stay on the crossing schedule, if possible. I installed a new radar reflector this morning so at least the big boys should be able to see me as I'm getting in their way.

I am going to stop trying to predict when and where I might have WiFi, I missed several times already.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are you still planning to "cross" Sunday morning? I looked at the forecast and I cannot tell from here if it's favorable or not...