Sunday, May 27, 2007

Rapids? What Rapids?


Cruising up Lewis Channel from Refuge Cove to the rapids.

I knew if my plan was going to work, there were some things that just needed to be done. like crossing the Strait of Georgia and running the rapids. There still are many more in the same category.

Today I took care of some of those things. Yuculta Rapids, Gillard Passage and Dent Rapids. Now, I have actually been through these a couple times before but I either had someone else in the boat or I was singlehanding but running with another boat. Today I was all alone in a slow boat.

I have read just about everything written about these rapids and I must say, if you follow the advice given in the Waggoner Cruising Guide and the Douglass' Exploring Series, everything will probably work out just fine! I slipped through without knocking anything to the deck and with only a tiny bit of psychological damage, (spread out over the entire morning of course!).The nice thing about the rapids is, unless there is genuine trouble, it only lasts a short time. On the other hand, the Strait can beat you to death for hours!

Right now there are gale force winds blowing in Johnstone Strait and my next leg will take me through there so I am going to go with plan B, just as soon as I figure out what plan B is.

I am currently sitting at the dock in Shoal Bay where the bulk of the wind can't quite get a purchase on the water. Mark McDonald, who runs the lodge here, provides free WiFi but there is no cellphone service. ( N 50 degrees 27.508' W 125 degrees 21.955' )

4 comments:

Kneester said...

Looks like you are having a good time. We just back from Flathead, Ben and Chrisy's maiden voyage on what I am calling the Pocket Rocket.

Tavis

Stay safe and have fun!

Ben Webb said...

Hi Frank-

We got back from Flathead Lake today. The new boat is great. It seems like every time I spend time on the water I learn so much. It looks like you are having a good time...I'm jealous. How's the Scotch supply holding out? Do I need to send more with Ginger??

Smooth Seas and Safe Travels,

Ben

JoyGirl said...

Hiya Frank - it's Gigi in Portland. Ginger sent your blog link to us (in the Portland office) and my, my, my. What an adventure you're on! I'm very excited for you and wish you the very best!

Cheers,
Gigi
PS - how's your head?
PPS to Ben - tell Kristi I said, "hello". :)

Marco said...

Hi Frank, Glad it was only the oil cooler. I am enjoying reading about the trip that I probably will never get a chance to do myself. I visited the Sundowner site and will sign on when I get back from Roche Harbor. Promise to slide open the hatch even when you are in a hurry? or do you want me to drop ship you a helmut? Be carefull out, there, I will check next week. Marco