Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Opportunities to Communicate Becoming Fewer


Hello! It's Wednesday and I am at the dock in Echo Bay Resort, all alone. I mean, DUNVEGAN is the only boat in the whole marina! I just gave them $92.36 for 15.9 gallons of diesel. Maybe that is the reason I am the only boat in the marina! (N 50 degrees 45.155' W 126 degrees 29.870').

Since Shoal Bay I have been cruising with a great couple aboard a 40' Endeavor sailboat. They have far more experience than I do and I think they sense some of my concern. They have been good morale boosters! Last night we anchored in Cutter Cove across from The Blow Hole on Minstral Island. The night before we anchored in Forward Harbour just north of Whirlpool Rapids at the east end of Sunderland Channel. Sunderland connects to infamous Johnstone Strait which was really calm during our transit. We plan to travel together for the next several days. Hopefully, we will be crossing Queen Charlotte Sound together on Monday morning. 267 nm so far.

I had fresh shrimp for dinner tonight. I had to barter for the shrimp from a shrimp boat. I used money and they used shrimp. It seems to work well that way.

Sorry for the short post but I will be powering down shortly. I will update when possible. I do thank everyone who has posted here and I am looking forward to more!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you serious? 16 gallons for almost $100? Is that pretty typical for up there or just the Echo Bay resort? I just don't see how folks are able to afford to do long range cruising in vessels that are burning 10-15 gph any more.

I am looking forward to hearing how your 1st open water crossing goes.

Owen

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Frank-

You have a whole group of armchair adventurers following your trip!

keep posting!!

Suzanne

sloboat said...

frank wife and I made toe same trip last year in a sailboat..as far as juno. traffic picks up later. great blog. sloboat "gudrun"