Saturday, May 26, 2007

Across One Strait and Up the Other!





I left the fuel dock at Nanaimo at 0810hrs., headed out into the Strait of Georgia under a small craft advisory, which is about as good as it gets for this body of water I think. Area Whiskey Gulf (WG) was not active so I was able to cross in a straight line from Nanaimo to the south tip of Texada Island, about fifteen and a half miles. WG is a military exercise area that you are forbidden to enter into when they are conducting operations. It is up to you to know where the boundaries are. If you get it wrong, the military will definitely make contact!

Fortunately I had my Bose noise cancelling headphones and my IPod with a new Jimmy Buffett album, "Take the Weather With You". Buffett just sounds better when you're on the water. Actually, I had time to listen to all three of my Buffett albums and some other tunes along the way, that's a big piece of water.

I started a couple hours earlier than I had planned so when I got across the Strait of Georgia I just continued on up Malaspina Strait all the way to Lund where I planned to stay at the dock. (N 49 degrees 58.84' W 124 degrees 46.09'). That made for a long day at 61.7 nm. That might not sound like much but it took 8hrs. and 15 minutes. I got a phone call out in the middle from a guy I work with. Can you hear me now?

Lund is a very small harbour and is home to a commercial shrimping fleet. Here is a photo of where I had to dock. Yes there is a dock in there somewhere. Singlehanding does have it's trials.

There is some kind of an orange colored algae bloom going on up here and Lund seemed to be getting its share as can been seen in the photo.

The last time we were in Lund they had WiFi but not this time so this post is a day late. I did have cell service so I got to talk to one of my kids which is a big treat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahoy Dunvegan,
Glad to hear you are on your way...so far sounds good, although I'd like to hear the story of the engine problem...I'm guessing a plugged filter...

Too bad you're not gettin up in the morning and driving to work like the rest of us...sucks to be you.

Thank you for the blog...I'm living your experience with you. and that is very cool.

Troy