Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Special Edition






Sometimes on this cruise, posts can get a little out of sequence as you may have noticed. I hope that most of it makes sense though. Here is one that I didn’t get to and I have posted some similar photos before but these are better.

It sounds like the lower 48 is scorched and burning up. Up here it nice and cool, not too cool, just right.

We wanted to go into a long inlet called Tracy Arm south of Juneau but I didn’t want the wear and tear on the boat. The wear and tear would come from all the ice floating away from Sawyer Glacier that we would have to navigate through. A company runs a charter service using two boats, one 58 feet and the other 65 feet long. The owner and captain did a great job of getting us up close and personal with the glacier. To be honest, Tracy Arm would be absolutely spectacular even if there was no ice! Again, the blue of the ice is just amazing and the glacier was actively calving when we were there.

I will include a photo of a 37’ Nordic Tug that I will guess was a charter because I don’t think this guy would take his own boat into this place.

So, I hope that gazing at these beautiful ice photos will provide some relief from the heat. Fire up the air conditioner, grab an ice cold beverage and click on the photos for a close up view. Enjoy!

1 comment:

JoyGirl said...

flippin' gorgeous! This is exactly what I want to see some day (soon!) - those blue blue glaciers. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm sure they're even more spectacular in person.

Cheers,
Gigi