Sunday, July 29, 2007

Full Circle






I left Nanaimo early to slip through Dodd Narrows on the tail of the ebb tide. Dodd Narrows is the last, albeit minor, tidal rapids between me and Anacortes. The weather was pretty good but I could have done with a little less breeze.

There were many options and I could have extended the cruise but I was still focused on going home. I called the Small Boat Clearance Center and was once again a bit surprised at the apparent lack of coordination in the Department of Homeland Security. However, I was able to clear Customs without another face to face. I then called the marina in Anacortes and scheduled a haul out for 1000hrs on Friday, the 27th. The next call was to the Motor Carrier Services Division of Montana Department of Transportation to have an over-width permit faxed to the marina. Everything was in place to drag DUNVEGAN back home to Montana.

I motored to an anchorage in Shoal Bay on Lopez Island to make a short hop across Rosario Strait to Anacortes in the morning. I had anchored in Shoal Bay on a previous cruise and found it nice and quiet. This time there were crab trap buoys everywhere and crab boats zipping around the bay like it was some kind of demolition derby competition that lasted until sundown. I stayed anyway and it did quiet down.

I awoke at 0300hrs and climbed into the pilothouse. The water was like glass, the air was warm and still and the sky was light. I stood there at the bridge and looked through all the pilothouse windows, remembering all the days of the cruise. The boat had done everything I asked of her and all without hesitation. She carried me and my first mate on a wonderful passage to Alaska and, with the Lord’s blessing, returned us safely home. It was so peaceful and I felt so at ease. It came to me at that moment; I must sell DUNVEGAN.

I knew I would not be making a similar or better cruise than this one, at least not in this boat, and I would not want to diminish the experience by doing something less. I will return to Alaska in a boat, but under different circumstances. It is now time to pass this great little tug on to someone else so they can experience the joys she still has to offer. I will not be towing DUNVEGAN back to Montana. I will probably leave her in Anacortes and list her with a broker (ouch!).

I hope some of you have enjoyed this blog as much as I have enjoyed putting it together. I am thankful for the encouragement of friends and family along the way and am eternally thankful for having had the opportunity to experience the wonders we’ve seen on this trip and the ability, through technology, to share some of that with you.

I will probably make a couple more posts in the near future when I have an opportunity and will be glad to address any comments. Here are some leftover photos. Thanks!

M/V DUNVEGAN is officially for sale. Inquiries can be sent to fogillin@gmail.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank,

Our heartfelt thanks for sharing this experience with all of us who "tuned in" via your excellent blog. Your trip was inspirational in ways you'll never know and I'm sure we are all already looking forward to the adventures of Dunvegan II.

God speed & bless,

Deb & Jim Anderson
"Chicago", Illinois

Anonymous said...

Calling Ben Webb to the pilothouse, Ben WEbb! You know you want this tug!

Tavis

JoyGirl said...

Frank -

Thank you... I enjoyed reading about your journey tremendously and am grateful I got to 'come along' - and doing so vicariously suites me to a "T" as I never have 'growed no sea legs' despite my Viking heritage. I finished reading with a lump in my throat... you know the kind I mean. I'm touched by your words, by how you convey your thoughts. Welcome home and here's to you and your first mate's next adventure!

PS - when I read that you left the Dunvegan in Alaska I knew right then you are a poet. My second thought was wondering if a certain Ben Webb is feeling tempted by the news of the vacancy...

Cheers,
Gigi