Thursday, June 14, 2007

King Salmon




Another beautiful day in paradise! Yesterday we booked a charter boat for 0630hrs. today to take us out and fine tune our salmon and halibut fishing skills. It was worth every penny. There were just the two of us and the skipper. He has been doing this since 1968 and was a great guy.

We ran 50 miles to the southern tip of Prince of Wales Island at Cape Chacon. We trolled for Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) Note; you can tell I have my own personal biologist onboard. We each caught our limit which is one a piece. Then we went around the cape and caught our limit of halibut (Hippoglossus stenolepis). We took a good sized salmon fillet back to the boat with us and the rest is being processed and shipped home to Montana.

Once again, the weather could not have been more perfect and the water was as well.

This cruise has changed complexion completely since Ginger arrived, I’m actually enjoying it now! It was her idea to book the charter! Ginger just told me that I am much more pathetic in person than I am in print but in real life she is just the first mate. She can talk but I don’t have to listen, just pretend to. Actually she is sitting right here and laughing. Life is great!


Tomorrow we plan to leave Ketchikan and motor to Helm Bay about 27nm northwest.

3 comments:

Kneester said...

I love it, that was a hilarious post. Nice fish!

Now swab the deck Ginger!

Chicago said...

(sorry 'bout soiling thr page with the deleted posts but the bog site had a mind of its own this morning)

(to the sound of sirens and klaxons) Oh my heavens! Did you two REALLY harvest live sea creatures? Good! They probably deserved it too but place yourselves under tug arrest anyway.

The revious pixs ("Alaska") were stunning! Really excellent! Looks like your both having a blast.

Deb & Jim

Marco said...

Hello,After the help of my daughter and her affectionate other, I believe this blog will accept my comments. Sorry about that. I have been reading right along and trying to say Hi. Also read I just had a return e mail from the sundowner site and will responde. Hope this works, Regards Marco