Friday, June 8, 2007

Hartley Bay For the Night




At Butedale I met a couple in a sailboat also headed north. They recommended Hartley Bay as a unique and quiet stop. A short run, at least by yesterday's standard. Heading on up the Frazer Reach of Princess Royal Channel there were waterfalls everywhere again.

A nice peaceful morning. Here is a photo of some white sided dolphins, trust me, that is what is making the splash. They came to visit for about twenty minutes, keeping me company as I sipped my coffee and took in this great creation.

As I entered into Wright Sound, a couple of bigger boats continued on straight towards Grenville Channel, the leg I was going to tackle tomorrow.

Hartley Bay (N 53 degrees 25.473' W 129 degrees 15.048') is a unique little Native village. There are no streets and no cars. Wooden boardwalks connect all the houses and the very few businesses and government buildings. Several people were using 4X4 ATV's to get around from house to house. A siren sounds at 2000hrs. to let all the children know they should be home.

You might remember last year hearing about the B.C. ferry, The Queen of the North, that hit Gil Rock and sank in Wright Sound. The residents of Hartley Bay came to the aid of the sinking ship and saved the lives of all but two that day.

No comments: