Sunday, June 3, 2007

Early Start


I keep hearing about all the bad weather outside and how it is going to get worse in the next few days so I pulled the anchor at 0515hrs. today the third of June. I looked out through a gap and saw fog again. This time I was just determined to run it. As I got outside of Green Island Anchorage I took this photo of the moon and mist. As it turned out I didn't get into any fog at all.

Today is a double post; The Cape post was done after I arrived at Shearwater this afternoon (N 52 degrees 08.852' W 128 degrees 05.305'). You are right in your surprise, Owen, there is no WiFi at Green Island, I was just catching up.

The cruising weather was great once again, still no storm. The early morning start was nice. I am a morning person and it was just beautiful. At the top of Fitz Hugh Sound I turned into Lama Passage and motored into Bella Bella and Shearwater. There is good cell service out in the bay in front of Bell Bella if you have the correct phone company. That would be Verizon. I've talked to other people who have been here recently and they could not get any signal at all with other companies. I even had one bar of signal at the dock in Shearwater and could make calls from there.

The WiFi here is $7.00/hour! But you can't even get a password until the store opens at 0900hrs. tomorrow. However, the WiFi at the pub is having some technical difficulties and is wide open and $0.00/hour. Shearwater is a newer place but seems to be lacking in coordination and customer service.

I changed the Racor 500 filter last night and changed the engine oil and filter today. There was only 76 hours on the oil since leaving Anacortes but with the "oil milkshake" at the beginning of this trip, I just thought I would give my engine a little treat!

Now I might hazard a guess on the next communication. I don't think there is much between here and Prince Rupert for either cell service or internet so you might not hear from me for awhile. If things go according to schedule, I plan to meet my darling wife in Prince Rupert on June 10. Ginger will fly to Vancouver, B.C. in the morning and then on to Prince Rupert. This has all been precisely coordinated without the ability to communicate for the seven days prior. I just hope we both show up at the same place and the same time. It will take Ginger one day to get to Prince Rupert, it will have taken me 22.

6 comments:

Kneester said...

Sounds like you had a great morning! Nothing like free internet.

Unknown said...

I am delighted you have made so much progress so quickly. Having that stretch of water behind you will certainly build you confidence for your journey further north.

Unknown said...

Frank, for future reference while you are in BC, are the dollars you are quoting from time to time USD or Canadian?

Owen

mo said...

Frank, Classy blog, not to mention the great narration of your amazing trip. Its been raining for 12 hrs. here and I have cabin fever. Ya know what I mean? take care.

JoyGirl said...

22 days vs. 1 day...somethings are just worth striving for. Heh. I do hope you'll find time to post while your first mate is aboard. Heh. I agree with Mo... "great narration". I told Ginger that your writing is so enjoyable to read. Today is Ginger's last day... whoo hoo! Have a grand time - both of you!

mo said...

Hey you two, life looks rough, I mean idyllic. Never saw a salmon so big. Frank, looks like you missed having someone to tease. Blos broke her wrist and had to have surgery. I've been trying to help out there. Green here too. Keep up the good work. I want a boat.